THE MILK DEPOT | close |
The Milk Depot is a fourteen-unit, adaptive reuse project at the former Harbison’s Dairy complex in Lower Kensington. Totaling 25,000 square feet, the structure is comprised of two existing buildings, with a common gated entry and landscaped courtyard.
The units at the Milk Depot highlight the industrial character of the building with open floor plans, exposed brick walls, high ceilings, wood trusses, and large windows with abundant natural light. Spaces have views of the Center City skyline and Ben Franklin Bridge. Duplex units feature custom steel stairs.
The impact of the Milk Depot is already being felt by the community, which has noticed the revitalization of the building complex, as well as the addition of commercial and residences creating a sense of activity and energy in the area.
Rethinking the industrial space, the layout of the units incorporates much of the buildings history and remaining physical elements.
The Harbisons Dairy complex, with its milk bottle-shaped steel water tower is a landmark in Lower Kensington. The milk bottle, visible from Interstate 95, towers 100 above street level. The milk depot at 2046 Amber Street is the oldest portion of the complex. The name Milk Depot comes from the caption in the 1898 photo.